In 1873 Abraham Laverton opened the Laverton Institute. At of a cost of £4,000 the building was designed by William Stent and built by W and W Keats. The Laverton Institute is an example of a Venetian, gothic style, revival building with red brick elevations with Bath stone dressing. The original roof featured an illuminated clock and incorporated a steeply pitched central Mansard roof (due to repairs, is no longer in place). The keystone above the canopy on the entrance is a carved pelican crest which appears on the coat of arms for Abraham Laverton. The Laverton Institute was designed to provide a place for educational, religious, philanthropic, scientific and political purposes. Part of the building was set aside for an elementary school for boys.