In 1873, Abraham opened The Laverton Institute, consisting of a reading room, committee room and large assembly space. Today, The Laverton Institute is still used for community activities.
Passion for education
Abraham’s father William ensured his children went to school as often as possible. Although Abraham never had any children himself, it appears he too saw the importance of education. The Laverton Institute provided a non-sectarian school room (it did not involve religion or politics), which was unusual at the time. The schoolroom was such a success that Abraham went on to build a school, which opened in 1885.
The Laverton Institute in 1905, from a souvenir booklet of West End Baptist church.